Thursday 5 January 2012

WIP - Quilt

Choosing where the pieces go

Here is another WIP. It was meant to be a simple quilt, but I got so far and...somehow found it hard to continue.
I think the photo shows the squares before they were stitched together. They are now in one big panel, but I am scared to cut out the edging material in case I mis-measure. At least, that is my current excuse for not finishing this project at the moment.
After the cats have been at the peices

Naturally, the cats are no help at all. They enjoy sliding into the pieces on the slippery floor as I tried to decide what order they should be patched in (hence the mess). Worse, when I started to piece them together Mouse felt he was not receiving enough attention and literally inserted himself into the sewing machine to halt progress.

 A Mouse in the machine

The fabrics are from Liberty of London. They were wrapped up in a bundle, surrounded by clear plastic, purportedly ready for quilting. Sadly, although individually beautiful, the patterns seem to war against one another and the cotton is very thin.  I love Liberty. It is a heartbreakingly beautiful store, but TIP: Do not buy pre-packaged ready-to-quilt bundles unless you are sure you know what you are getting.  The shop assistant should be happy to open the bundle up for you to enable you to make an informed decision as to whether or not the material is right for you.

I have since found a wonderful fabric shop in East London called Beyond Fabrics (http://www.beyond-fabrics.com) which is owned and run by a couple who are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  From now on I will go back to them.

1 comment:

  1. The quilt is stunning - what a lovely colour scheme. And the cat - well - you can see who rules your workspace!

    ReplyDelete