Monday 27 February 2012

Secret postcards

Caught stealing an egg

Art Deco lady

My younger son's school is fundraising at present and has used the Royal College of Art's idea of having a secret postcard sale.  Ideally, they'd like known artists or celebrities to contribute cards, but were asking anyone who could pick up a pencil to have a go.  These were my contributions.  They lady should/could have been more delicate, but the markers bled slightly more than I was expecting on the postcard paper.  By the time I drew the fox, I was anticipating this, so I used a Chinese brush pen and rather than trying to include more detail, I just tried to make fewer lines work harder by varying the thicknesses.  My inspiration was Art Deco postcard work, as those artists gave such expression in few lines and fewer colours.

Ingredients for Caught stealing an egg
Pentel Chinese calligraphy brush pen
Letraset Tria marker in orange O567
Pentel white gel pen for highlights in eyes; other white areas are just the white of the card

Ingredients for Art Deco lady
Steadtler triplus fineliner in brown
Letraset Tria markers: red R766, blue V245, orange O567 and skin tone O729

4 comments:

  1. Fabulous - very striking - what a good idea

    Sorry I am not commenting on every post - but those two word blogger verifications I find hard reading and it takes me twice as long and ofter more than one attempt as the time I spend commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lottie, I had no idea I had any verifications set...I certainly didn't mean to. I shall go find them and turn them off. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the fox particularly - he looks very 'shifty' and you've captured an essence of movement in the image. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete