Tuesday 7 February 2012

2012 Art Journal, Week 3 - Schooldays and Doodling

Schooldays spent doodling 

Efemera introduces week 3:

"Your prompt word this week is SCHOOLDAYS
1 Jot down 10 random things about your schooldays
2 Use lined paper
3 Add some ink blots and doodle in the margin"

To begin with I cut some lined paper to fit my journal and stamped the maple leaf in Distress Ink "Spiced Marmalade".  I wanted to achieve an authentic school page look, so I found one of my old exercise books and a "back to school" titlepage produced when I was eight years old.  I cut out the title "SCHOOL" (well it was "SCHOOLS", but I ditched the 'S') and noted as I did so that my eight year old self had cunningly covered up a felt tip 'K' in SKHOOL with a 'C'.  The long suffering sticky tape had no stick left, so I glued the 'C' back in place.  In addition to the title, I managed to salvage the date and a few of the smaller, potentially recognisable items from the old drawing.  I especially liked the little doodle in black of two flowers appearing at the bottom of both the original page and the new one.  I copied that image when doodling the top and bottom borders.

I chose the colour scheme from the original drawing, adding the orange for a bit of light relief from the deep red, blue, purple and green.  My new favourite crafting things - a set of Staedtler triplus fineliner pens were great for a bit of girly journaling and a LOT of doodling.  I had to colour around the date to make the pencil writing stand out.  After highlighting that, all I wanted to do was to fill up all the free space with doodles, with the only white space being used for the ink blots.  As I only use black ink in my fountain pens, I am more accustomed to having black ink blots, but I seem to remember all school ink blots are blue...were we forced to write in blue ink in school, or was it just fashionable to do so?

I must say I had forgotten the joy of doodling.  There is something immensely satisfying and relaxing about doodling into every corner of a page.  The result is messy, but authentic and on the whole, I am pleased with it.

Ingredients for 2012 Art Journal, Week 3
Moleskine sketch journal
Lined paper
Santa Rosa maple leaf rubber stamp
Distress Ink "spiced marmalade" ink pad
Images from school exercise book I had when I was eight
Staedtler triplus fineliner set of pens: orange, red, blue, green and purple

1 comment:

  1. you are doing a great job with your journal pages - I love them

    ReplyDelete