Tuesday 7 February 2012

2012 Art Journal, Week 4 - Cadbury's Creme Eggs

Cadbury's Creme Eggs 

Efemera says:
"This week your prompt word is SWEETS
1 List 5 sweets you remember from your childhood.  (Did you call them sweets? candies? or something else?)
2 Where did you buy them and what did they cost?
3 Include some kind of sweetie wrappers on your page"

I obviously do not read or remember the prompts as well as I should, as I quite forgot that we were meant to be listing five sweets that we remembered.  All I could think of was Cadbury's creme eggs and I suspect the heartfelt sentiment is self-evident.

Yeah, it is probably me, right?

I had a lot of fun with this page.  Unusually for me, I stamped the sweet rubber stamp in "spiced marmalade" directly onto the journal page, fully expecting it to run.  It didn't.  Yay!  I intended to create a "sweet" wallpaper effect to work against.  Next I used an egg shaped punch to cut out shapes in patterned paper and then put the Cadbury's creme egg foil behind, to look like tiny eggs.  These formed to top and bottom borders of the page.  I did the journalling in fountain pen and Staedtler triplus fineliners.

Small pound (accessorised by slightly moody queen) and a HUGE Cadbury's creme egg, like they used to be

I drew the pound coin and the large creme egg in pencil first, and then drew/outlined the details with Staedtler pigment liners of different sizes.  You can't really see it from the photo, but the pound coin is coloured using gold gel pen and gold metallic pencil.  I used a white correction pen to get the white of the Cadbury's and then Staedtler triplus fineliners (and a random yellow felt tipped pen) to colour the image in, finally outlining the sections in silver gel pen to make them stand out.  Finally, in an attempt to make them "leap" out from the page, I used the red and purple fineliners to create a halo around them.  I used the same fineliners to doodle around the borders, intending to bridge the gap between the patterned paper used for the mini eggs and the central images.

I was ridiculously pleased with how the big egg came out, especially as my partner James hadn't realised I had drawn it and thought it was just another used wrapper.  I think this has been the most fun journal page to create to date and I love the end result.

Ingredients for 2012 Art Journal, Week 4

Moleskine sketch journal
Anita's sweet rubber stamp
Distress Ink "spiced marmalade" ink pad
Patterned paper free with a magazine
Cadbury's creme egg foil wrappers
Lamy Safari fountain pen with medium nib
Steadtler pigment liners: 01, 03 and 05
Staedtler triplus fineliner set of pens: red, purple, yellow 
Zebra Jimnie gel pens: gold and silver
Pentel micro correct in white

1 comment:

  1. This is fabulous - and yes I think they are getting smaller!

    ReplyDelete