Tuesday 14 February 2012

2012 Art Journal, Filled with Love

Filled with love

Names of loved ones in the heart

The Craft Barn has a journal challenge on at the moment which my good friend Lainey from Cardmaking Paradise recommended to me.  The Craft Barn challenge can be found here but I hope they won't mind me repeating the challenge, which is as follows:

"The theme this time is "FILLED WITH LOVE".

What we will ask is to draw/stencils/die-cut hearts and "fill" them with what you love... It can be pictures of your loved ones... your favourite colours... favourite food... favourite movies.... Anything/one you love and want to journal about should be INSIDE the hearts... The rest is up to you..."

I should add at this point, that hearts are generally just "too cute" for me, so the challenge presented a problem.  However, I loved biology at school and decided I could deal with the cute by drawing an anatomical heart.  Using a biology reference book and several diagrams on the internet, I freehand drew this heart in pencil and then in pigment liner and then labelled it.  I coloured it with Letraset Tria Markers and then used Staedtler triplus fineliners to journal the names of people I love inside the heart atriums and ventricles (as per the instructions).  This is the first time I have used the Tria Markers properly.  The work of ArtyRosie, a friend from UK Stampers, was very persuasive in tempting me to try markers and I must say I have been impressed at how easy and bright they are, although I have a lot to learn in terms of shading.  Links to the websites of both Lainey and Rosie can be found to the right of this page and I highly recommend both blogs.

Ingredients for Filled with Love
Daler Rowney Manga Pad paper
Letraset Tria Markers: blues B845 and B138, red R354, pink R327 and pale pink O518
Staedtler pigment liner: 03
Staedtler triplus fineliners: dark green, light green, orange, blue, red

8 comments:

  1. Excellent, love your take on the subject. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. You have really made this AJ page in your own style. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flipping LOVEly!

    You’ve done a fantastic job with the drawing and I like the fact that at first glance you don’t really notice all the names of your nearest and dearest inside but then when you look closer it draws you in

    I rarely see a journal page that I want to copy outright but this one is tempting :) If I do, I’ll credit you of course. And I’ll probably use the names of my loved ones not yours :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Flo,

      I have responded to this on your blog, but I never have an issue with anyone copying from my work in the sense of reproducing it themselves, an act which necessarily involves creation. In fact, I would regard this as a compliment.

      However, your post creates a really interesting point on the subject of "copying" which almost seems to be a dirty word these days. When I thought of the idea, my first reaction was to look up an anatomical heart in an old biology book of mine and then to look for further diagrams on the internet. I never once thought that I was copying, as I was freehand drawing the heart and using elements of about five different diagramns, plus adding elements of my own...and yet...the anatomical heart definitely looks most like the one I liked best.

      Was that copying? I did not print the diagrams out or photocopy them...I simply freehand drew the heart as closely to the diagrams as I could make it and it took me maybe three hours from start to finish. What were my alternatives? Not being a surgeon, disecting a human heart isn't really on my list of things to do right now or ever. I'd be really interested in other people's views on this subject. My own view is that you shouldn't pretend that someone else's work is your own, but you should be free to be influenced by the art of others and it is always professional and good manners to credit others if their work has had a strong influence.

      Kaowyn
      x

      Delete
  4. This is brilliantly original - wonderful lateral thinking - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again Kaowyn! Love your page - it's so original and shouts out to be looked at! Wonderful. Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, it's stunning!! Very original interpretation, brava!

    Thanks for joining us at CraftBarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your take on this, so clever and original.
    Thanks for playing with us at the Barn
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete